emacs: notmuch-tree, reading messages and tags

Matthew Lear matt at bubblegen.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 05:22:40 PDT 2015

Hi,
If I switch to viewing a thread with notmuch-tree, I can navigate through,
and read messages using up/down + RET just fine. Each message is shown in
a seperate window. However, if point never enters that message window, the
unread tag is removed (strikethrough) from the message in the notmuch-tree
view but not from the message in the message window itself. If I refresh
the notmuch tree view, all messages still have their unread tag applied.

The only time that the unread tag is removed is if point enters the
message window. For messages that are only a few lines long (eg a reply to
the previous message in the thread is only a few lines) and which can be
read without putting point in the message window to scroll, having to
specifically select the message window in order for the unread tag to be
removed from the message seems totally unnecessary and is inconvenient.

Is this by design or am I using it wrongly? Is this behaviour configurable?

Cheers,
--  Matt