exim pipe transport, notmuch insert and mbox-style messages

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 08:26:15 PST 2014

On Sb, 22 nov 14, 10:44:45, David Bremner wrote:
> Edward Betts <edward at 4angle.com> writes:
>

> > I wonder if 'notmuch insert' could be modified to detect and drop the From_
> > line before writing the message to disk and index it. It could do that
> > silently or with a warning.
>
> I don't know about the larger question(s), but I'd suggest just escaping
> it to something like X-Envelope-From: . There may even be some
> semi-standard header to use for this.

I had the same problem with postfix + maildrop, as local(8)
unconditionally adds the 'From ' header when delivering to an external
command and upstream did not consider my suggestion to make this
configurable. The work-arounds I came up with:

1. use 'reformail -f0' as suggested in maildrop(1)

reformail(1):

    -f0
    Any initial blank lines are removed. If the first non-blank line is a
    "From_" line, it gets converted to a "Return-Path:" header, and any
    existing "Return-Path:" header gets removed. If the message does not
    start with a "From_" line, the message remains unchanged.

2. adjust the 'maildrop' destination in postfix' master.cf to remove the
'F' flag.

pipe(8):

    F   Prepend a "From sender time_stamp" envelope header to the
        message content.  This is expected by, for example, UUCP
        software.

3. Deliver from postfix to a Maildir, bypassing any filtering.

Kind regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)