tag:deleted messages immediately deleted ?

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Thu Nov 20 09:11:34 PST 2014

Hi.

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu> writes:
>>
>> I'm using a local dovecot as a mail storage backend, which is in turn
>> indexed my botmuch... any particular thing related to dovecot flags
>> handling maybe (i.e. deleted tag being passed to dovecot) ?
>>

> Nope, we rejected synching the T flag to maildirs for exactly this
> reason.  I wonder if you have multiple excluded tags on these messages
> somehow.  If you run "notmuch search --exclude=false tag:deleted" do you
> get some output? If so, what tags do these messages have?

Yes, I get tons of mails (981 of them ;).

Some only seem to have the deleted tag :

 $ notmuch search --exclude=false tag:deleted  | grep '(deleted)' | wc -l
 4

And it seems I can now find some 21 messages by searching for the
tag:deleted query in emacs :-/

I've checked my .notmuch-config and it contains :

 [search]
 exclude_tags=deleted;spam;

So, I've tried and removed the spam tag from the exclude_tags, and
suddenly, the search in emacs responds with the 981... which means that
most of the deleted ones had the spam tag too.

So it means that if one explicitely requests an excluded tag, other
exclude tags still apply. Not sure this is the desirable option : maybe
if one exclusion is waved, then others should too ?

What do you think ?

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER