[O] how to put into a journal info about the email sent

Eric Abrahamsen eric at ericabrahamsen.net
Fri Oct 24 10:02:10 PDT 2014

David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 24 2014, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> David Belohrad <david at belohrad.ch> writes:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> i'm using org. And I'm using notmuch (that's why I address both mailing
>>> lists). Now, writing an email in everyday bussiness requires a
>>> non-significant time of your workhours. So I'd like to have this event
>>> in my org agenda. So any time I send some email with a given subject,
>>> I'd like to 'automatically' entry the information about it into
>>> e.g. sentmails.org in form of a diary entry, with appropriate tag.
>>
>> I do something like this in Gnorb, which I'd recommend you use except
>> it's mostly Gnus specific.
>>
>> I do it in two parts, but you could do it in one. Basically I add a
>> function to the `message-header-hook' (which ensures that all the
>> message headers have been generated properly).
>
> Does `message-generate-headers-first' not do what you want for this
> specific part?

Yeah, I think I looked at that previously. But this thing is going in a
hook anyway, might as well use the hook that *doesn't* require me to
call that function explicitly.

>> Obviously the downside is that, without a "Gcc:" header, org can't
>> actually make a real link to the message. It doesn't know where it's
>> going to be. However if you know that all your sent messages can be
>> reached with a link that looks like "notmuch:id#Message-id", then you
>> can make that yourself in your org capture template with something like
>
> As you suggest, know the message-id should be good enough to generate a
> notmuch link, though you may have to wait for the notmuch index to be
> updated for the link to be valid.

Yup, I've got the same issue with nnimap -- you have to wait for the
next sync to get access to the message. So far it hasn't been a problem,
though.