Tabulation in multiline headers

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Fri Oct 17 17:08:08 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17 2014, Sergei Shilovsky <sshilovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lets consider this message:
>
>     id:87r5aucoeg.fsf at servo.finestructure.net
>
> Its subject spreads over 2 lines and the 2nd line is indented with
> <Tab> in the file:
>
>     Subject: running the crypto branch [was: Re: Hiding HTML mime-parts and/or
>     <Tab--->scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation]
>
> The issue is that notmuch_message_get_header() returns this whole line
> with the Tab
> character (though I guess it should not):
>
>     running the crypto branch [was: Re: Hiding HTML mime-parts
> and/or<Tab>scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation]
>
> This file could be imported from gmane though with mb2md. My test long
> subject message (sent via gmail) didn't got any tabulation.

Hi, Sergei.  I'm not clear on where exactly you are seeing a problem
with this tab in the subject line.  Is it showing up somewhere you think
it shouldn't?

Headers that are broken across multiple lines must be indented, so I
think it is fairly standard for MUAs to insert either a space or a tab
at that point.

>  No idea where this tabulation could came from, but would that be
> correct to replace <tab> with space in libnotmuch itself?

I'm not sure libnotmuch should be doing any scrubbing of the message
contents.  The emacs UI does seem to replace the tab with a space,
though.  Maybe other MUAs should be doing the same?

jamie.