process-crypto failing when encountering an unknown algorithm

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Oct 11 04:46:28 PDT 2014

hi folks--

sorry to not have a clearer debugging statement right no (ENOTIME to
generate something nice) but i think notmuch-emacs was failing to render
a thread for me when one of the messages involved was either signed with
or encrypted using an algorithm that gpg didn't know about.

I ran into this because i'm working on gpg 2.1, which implements some
OpenPGP elliptic curve crypto.

notmuch really shouldn't just fail to render the entire thread in the
event that it sees an unknown algorithm -- it should just show the
encrypted message and indicate failure to decrypt.

If i can get more time, i'll try to dig deeper and craft an example
message, and a proper bug report, but if anyone else can do that part,
i'd appreciate it.

    --dkg