[announce] nmhive v0.1.0

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Mon Sep 22 10:19:35 PDT 2014

I like nmbug's distributed tag maintenance, but not everyone has
notmuch/nmbug installed locally (yet ;).  However, everyone that I
know does have a browser and a mail client.  They can submit messages
with their mail client already, but we've been missing a way for them
to help tag messages.  Nmhive is a lightweight server that allows
clients to read and write notmuch tags using a JSON API [1].  It uses
nmbug locally to commit after each write, and the admin can then pull
tag changes made by nmhive and push them into the native nmbug
ecosystem:

  web client → nmhive → nmhive's nmbug → admin's nmbug → tethera's nmbug

To make it easy for folks to drive nmhive, the repository also
contains a bookmarklet [2] that you can use to interactively manage
tags from a message's Gmane page (e.g., [3,4]).  The setup currently
uses my ported-to-Python nmbug [5] if you want to play with it
locally.  I haven't added user authentication yet, so it's probably
best to just run your own nmhive for now.  If anyone has preferences
for authentication, send a patch :).  Or at least let me know, and
I'll see what I can do ;).  I'd appreciate any other feedback folks
have as well.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://github.com/wking/nmhive