multiple machine tagging

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Mon Sep 15 06:49:16 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 20 2010, David Edmondson wrote:
(Wow, was it really more than four years ago?)

> What's the current state of the art in merging tags from multiple
> machines?
>
> In my own case the contents of the mail store can be considered
> identical on the different machines. Automated tagging is mostly fine
> - it can just happen on each of the machines. Any hand-added tags are
> a problem, though.

Is there any significant change to this picture?

I've been backing up my tags using 'notmuch dump' and a simple "newest
wins" merge (so that I don't lose tags for messages that are not in the
database at the time of the dump) followed by git.

This is okay for a backup solution (I've needed it a couple of times!),
but not ideal for a multi-machine environment.