Remote xapian database

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Fri Jun 27 07:19:18 PDT 2014

Roman Kravets <admin at softded.net> writes:

> It is not problem. Storage - it low cost resources.  I have problem
> with CPU utilization.  When I use "notmuch new" my CPU used 100% :( If
> can I move database to another server, it remove load from my slow
> computer.

It's hard for me to judge how many people would be interested in such a
"half distributed" solution, but if someone wants to investigate, the
pieces I can see right away are

1) figuring out the configuration changes needed to separate the
location of the database from the location of the mail files. This is
something we've been wanting to do anyway, just so people can use
different disks, so you could probably get help with that.

2) Figure out how to nicely encode the remote versus local
distinction without adding heavy dependencies to notmuch. There is some
related discussion at

        id:1340656899-5644-1-git-send-email-ethan at betacantrips.com

2) The actual remote database open would be done in
notmuch_database_open, in lib/database.cc