an emacs macro

Tom Hirschowitz tom.hirschowitz at univ-savoie.fr
Thu Jun 5 02:52:32 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to define a macro for notmuch/emacs which in show-mode would

 - prompt the user for tags (possibly starting with "+"),

 - tag the shown message with these tags plus an additional fixed tag,
   say "+local".

I know next to nothing about emacs/lisp, so I tried to mimick notmuch*.el.

Here's my most plausible attempt:

(defun notmuch-show-move (tag-changes)
  "Add the local tag, plus possibly others, given as interactive arguments."
  (interactive (list (notmuch-read-tag-changes (notmuch-show-get-tags)
					       "Tag message" "+")))
  (let* ((tag-changes-with-local (cons "+local" tag-changes))
	 (rien (notmuch-tag (notmuch-show-get-message-id) tag-changes-with-local))
	 (current-tags (notmuch-show-get-tags))
	 (new-tags (notmuch-update-tags current-tags tag-changes-with-local)))
    (unless (equal current-tags new-tags)
      (notmuch-show-set-tags new-tags))))

(define-key notmuch-show-mode-map (kbd "M") 'notmuch-show-move)
(define-key notmuch-search-mode-map (kbd "M") 'notmuch-show-move)

This seems to work in show-mode, but not in search-mode.
I'd be grateful for any hint on doing this in tree- and search-modes
(and possibly explanations on why the current version does not work).

Thanks,
Tom