github

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon May 12 19:30:22 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 27 2014, Jani Nikula <jani at nikula.org> wrote:
> To be honest, I am slightly concerned by the popularity of
> github. Despite being a hosting site primarily for open source, it *is*
> a proprietary platform. Source code hosting is plain git, but AFAIK all
> the rest (review process, issue tracking, and so on) is pretty much at
> the whim and mercy of the company running it. They make a change, you
> adapt. If you don't want to adapt, it's not easy to switch over to
> another service provider either if you've built your process around
> github.
>
> So even if the features of github amazed me (they don't), I would have
> pretty strong reservations about relying on them.

There seems to have been a lot of discussion on the list recently about
github.  I just want to express my very strong agreement with Jani's
sentiment above.  A lot of us in the notmuch community moved to notmuch
because we didn't want our email controlled by a single service provider
(e.g. gmail).  I don't want our development cycle controlled by github
(or any other proprietary SCM) for many of the same reasons.

The current notmuch development process, that's been built up over the
last five years, is the most efficient and effective I've ever worked
with.  It's really a well-oiled machine.  Newcomers (always welcome!)
should give it a try before suggesting we abandon it.

jamie.