[Patch v3 0/3] emacs: show: redesign unread/read logic

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed May 7 08:08:52 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25 2014, Mark Walters wrote:
> The third patch adds my attempt at a plausible logic. I find it works
> very well: it usually does both what I expect and what I want.

Whilst I think that the patch is well done, I don't like the resulting
behaviour. That is a personal preference, of course. At the moment it
doesn't seem that there is a way to accept this patch and (optionally)
retain the existing behaviour. Do you have any thoughts on how we might
achieve that?

I don't have a strong preference for the default behaviour, though I
suspect that something closer to the current behaviour (where a message
is marked seen when it becomes the current message[1]) would better
match user expectation (but this is an opinion, not something founded in
fact).

Footnotes:
[1]  Modulo bugs.