GMAIL tag sync arriving in "next" branch in Offlineimap

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Wed May 7 05:07:49 PDT 2014

On Wed, 07 May 2014, Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:
> Recently, gmail tag sync was discussed here, and it seems something is
> happening in Offlineimap: patches implementing synching of gmail tags to
> X-Labels have been applied in the "next" branch and announced on the
> Offline mailing list.

https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/commit/0e4afa913253c43409e6a32a6b6e11e8b03ed3d9

"""
This is an example of a setup where GMail gets synced with a local
Maildir. It also keeps track of GMail labels, that get embedded into the
messages under the header X-Keywords (or whatever labelsheader is set
to), and syncs them back and forth the same way as flags.

The first time it runs on a large repository may take some time as the
labels are read / embedded on every message. Afterwards local label
changes are detected using modification times (much faster):
"""

Modification of message files as labels change? Ugh.

I guess notmuch could read a user configurable header and apply the tags
there, but notmuch modifying the message files is probably not going to
happen.

BR,
Jani.