github mirror

Sam Halliday sam.halliday at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 12:33:33 PDT 2014

David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu> writes:
> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday at gmail.com> writes:
>> But in any case, my RFE/question was this: how hard would it be to have
>> an optional mode of behaviour where tags are stored in the message
>> itself, so that syncing with an IMAP server (e.g. via offlineimap)
>> would make the tags available on all devices. This would negate the need
>> for workarounds, such as shared notmuch databases, when users have
>> multiple machines.
>
> The problem is that different imap servers store tags in different
> ways.  Since notmuch does not use imap, it would be hard for notmuch to
> synchronize the tags, other than the standard ones (for which notmuch
> already has support).
>
> One thing you could do is build an external tool that synchronizes
> notmuch tags and spawns an imap server in preauth mode to sync the tags.
> (That would be yet another use for the ctime values we have discussed on
> this list.)

The improvements to offlineimap to use the mail header hack might work
well for both of us. Currently the only way to add/remove "labels" (a
gmail concept) is to copy/move mail between folders. And this is how
notmuch "tags" are synced. But with outstanding pull request, this can
all be managed via email headers and that means you *only* need to
synchronise your "All Mail" folder.

So, I'd be interested to see what your code could do in that world :-)