Thanks for the nmbug-status program

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Tue Apr 22 17:18:24 PDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 04:01:06PM -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> W. Trevor King writes:
> > I think that making nmbug and nmbug-status generally applicable for
> > other projects is a good target.  I don't see any need to pull them
> > out into a stand-alone project to do that though.
>
> For what it's worth, I don't disagree.

Does that mean your patches are aimed upstream at the notmuch
repository?  If so, you should probably mail them to the list for
discussion.  Here are my initial reactions from reading the Git
history:

* bcc677a Add initial notmuch-to-html script

This is a side effect of pulling the script out into it's own repo and
doesn't need to be upstreamed.

* fb9f586 Add explicit license information

Another side effect of pulling the script out, but I like direct
license references.  Someone using the script may not want to track
down a chain of references to figure out what the license is.

* 9b8c173 Add copy of the GNU General Public License

Doesn't need to be upstreamed.

* 7d7ce23 Make the configuration file a required argument.

I liked the "fall back to $NMBGIT's config:status-config.json"
functionality.  I also think it generalizes well to parallel use for
multiple projects.  For example, if I was maintaining a "Mesa Stable
Queue", I'd suggest folks use:

  $ NMBGIT=~/.config/mesa-stable-queue nmbug
  $ NMBGIT=~/.config/mesa-stable-queue nmbug-status

(or their shell's approriate environment variable syntax), and I'd
version the config file in the same repo as the associated tags.  I
don't see the point of keeping the config file somewhere else, when
you'll already need a repository to store the tags.

* d456390 Add a comment describing the program

I like the idea, but I'd prefer a docstring just after the leading
comment.  Then we could reuse the docstring as the description for the
ArgumentParser.

* 336411f Add "notmuch search" to the advertised queries.

Folks can already copy-paste the terms into Emacs etc.  You only need
the 'notmuch search' prefix if you're pasting into a shell, in which
case you'll also want to escape shell-sensitive characters like
parenthesis.  I'm fine without this one.

* 9fd6177 Move the generated date from the top of the page to the footer.

I like this.  Part of me wants nmbug-status to use an actual
templating package (e.g. Jinja) for this sort of thing, but we can put
that off and stick with the hard-coded template as long as we keep
agreeing on the layout ;).

* f55ff7e Drop the --get-query option

I'd like to keep the in-Git config, so I'm -1 here.

* 396869c Add support for a --query option (along with a default configuration)

I don't have an opinion about this one ;).  The default config doesn't
look very useful (especially with it's dummy metadata settings), but
I'd only be using the in-Git-config approach, and I don't mind if
others want something like this.

Cheers,
Trevor