0.18: call for NEWS, feature freeze April 21

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Apr 14 04:01:51 PDT 2014

Hi Gang;

We're overdue for a release. I'd like to feature freeze on April 21 and
release not too long after that. I ran through the commits since 0.17
and we are missing quite a few NEWS items.  I tried to filter the
commits down a bit; please send NEWS patches for things you think are
important user visible changes.  People are encouraged to write NEWS
patches for Jani, since he wrote feature patches for you ;).

David Bremner:
      doc: convert sphinx based docs
      doc: fix out-of-tree build
      compat: add canonicalize_file_name

      dump: support gzipped and atomic output
      restore: transparently support gzipped input

      notmuch-new: backup tags before database upgrade

Jani Nikula:
      insert: respect maildir.synchronize_flags

      cli: add --quiet option to notmuch new

      configure: only install bash completion if supported
      completion: bash completion for notmuch new --quiet option

      emacs: use the originating buffer's working directory for pipe

      cli: make sure notmuch new and insert don't add invalid tags

      lib: add support for path: prefix searches
      lib: make folder: prefix literal

      nmbug-status: parameterize title and blurb in the page header
      nmbug-status: make output title and blurb configurable

      lib: drop support for single-message mbox files
      lib: replace the header parser with gmime

      emacs: sign/encrypt replies to signed/encrypted messages

Tomi Ollila:
      emacs: ad-activate 'mm-shr after ad-disable-advice 'mm-shr
      emacs: initialize ido(-completing-read) in emacs 23.[123]

      emacs: instruct user to autoload notmuch instead of require'ing it
      emacs: add defcustom notmuch-init-file and load it if exists
      doc: added 'Init File' section to notmuch-emacs info source

      build: write version.stamp file containing $(VERSION) string
      emacs: add notmuch-version.el.tmpl and create notmuch-version.el from it
      emacs: defun notmuch-hello-versions and bind 'v' in hello mode to it

W. Trevor King (22):
      nmbug-status: Convert to Python-3-compatible and refactor

      nmbug: Add 'clone' and replace FETCH_HEAD with @{upstream}

Mark Walters (18):

      emacs: show: use orig-tags for tag display
      emacs: search: use orig-tags in search
      emacs: tree: use orig-tags in search

Austin Clements (14):

      new: Detect dirent.d_type support at configure time

      emacs: Fix exception when fetching empty or unconfigured settings
      emacs: Fix `notmuch-user-other-email' when no other emails are configured
      emacs: Simplify and fix `notmuch-mua-prompt-for-sender'

      Make keys of notmuch-tag-formats regexps and use caching

Jed Brown (1):
      emacs: update alist for mail-archive.com API change

Tomi Valkeinen (1):
      lib: fix error handling