Feature suggestion. Indexing encrypted mail?

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Apr 5 10:10:40 PDT 2014

john.wyzer at gmx.de writes:

> Would it be possible to add the configurable option to also decrypt
> encrypted messages on the fly while indexing to make them searchable,
> too?
>
> That would be really great for people that consider gnupg  mainly an
> encryption for transport or have their complete hard drive encrypted...

As far I understand an attacker could reconstruct the message from the
index, so one question is whether the extra complexity in notmuch is
worth the minimal extra security over decrypting on delivery and storing
plaintext on the (presumably encrypted) disk. Of course decrypting on
delivery may be inconvenient (or impossible). I have CCed the two people
who have implemented most of the crypto related stuff in notmuch so they
can comment.