[Patch v3 0/3] emacs: show: redesign unread/read logic

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:03:10 PDT 2014

This is the latest version of the redesign of the unread/read
logic. Now that the tag update code is in this is relatively simple.

The previous version (which included an early version of the tag
update code) is at
id:1387065197-15776-1-git-send-email-markwalters1009 at gmail.com

The series consists of three patches. The first makes the test suite
run the post-command-hooks. This is bremner's version from
id:1390578744-30516-1-git-send-email-david at tethera.net (which is much
nicer than my original version). This patch has been reviewed by Tomi
in id:m21tzxns8p.fsf at guru.guru-group.fi and me in
id:87d2jizjlu.fsf at qmul.ac.uk

The second patch adds a stub function linked to the post-command-hook
to mark messages read. This is a convenient place to test other
possible logics.

The third patch adds my attempt at a plausible logic. I find it works
very well: it usually does both what I expect and what I want.

Somewhat surprisingly for a moderately significant change all tests
pass unchanged.

Finally, the tests do not pass after Patch 2 but before Patch 3. I
have left these two patches split to make it easy for other people to
test other unread logic, but we might want to merge the two when
commiting.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Walters (3):
  test: make test_emacs call post-command-hook
  emacs: show: add an update seen function to post-command-hook
  emacs: show: make `seen' mean user viewed whole message

 test/test-lib.el      |   11 ++++++
 test/test-lib.sh      |    2 +-

1.7.10.4