WARNING: database upgrade coming

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Mar 17 10:17:56 PDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 09 2014, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> I will fairly soon push some version of jani's patches changing folder:
> matching to master. This will require an irreversible database upgrade.
>
> Of course we believe everything is going to go smoothly, but you
> probably should not run this upcoming version of notmuch on your live
> mail store until you understand the implications for your workflow.
>
> It never hurts to backup your tags before upgrading notmuch. We've never
> had a data loss yet, but it _is_ software.

Hey, David et. al.  I recently did an upgrade to notmuch/master after
being out of the loop for a while and not noticing that a database
upgrade was pending.  The next notmuch new informed me that a database
upgrade was required, but it went ahead and did the upgrade unprompted.
Things went fine, but it did worry me a bit that I didn't know an
upgrade was pending and didn't have a chance to do a backup before it
happened.

It would be nice if notmuch new would prompt users when an database
upgrade is pending, to give the user an option to abort before
proceeding so that they can do a backup if they'd like.

jamie.