Smime signature verification in Notmuch - Emacs

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Mar 11 11:03:09 PDT 2014

Hi Baptiste--

On 03/03/2014 12:29 PM, Baptiste wrote:
> I made a little |Emacs| advice for |notmuch-show-insert-part-multipart/signed|
> to deal with mails signed with /SMIME/ mechanism. It calls /openssl/ to create
> missing :sigstatus.
>
> Here it is : https://github.com/bateast/notmuch-openssl
> (it is an org-file, in |Emacs|, use /org-babel-tangle/ on it to extract the .el).
>
> You are welcomed to make any comment.

i'm interested in the functionality you're describing, but i confess i'm
confused by the syntax of your e-mail and the structure of the file in
question, as well as how you think it should be related to the notmuch
project.  This might all be obvious to other people; sorry for my confusion!

Do you think this should be integrated into notmuch and shipped with it?
 if so, can you provide it as a standard patch for folks here to review?

Some questions worth documenting if possible:

 * do you expect this to work for S/MIME encrypted messages as well as
S/MIME signed messages?

 * is there a reason to do this only in emacs?  PGP/MIME-signed (and
-encrypted) messages can be parsed directly by libnotmuch so they are
useful in other contexts as well

 * what key management model does this code assume and/or enforce?  how
do we know which keys belong to which users?

Thanks for working on notmuch!

Regards,

	--dkg