convert man pages to sphinx

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Wed Mar 5 10:11:02 PST 2014

On Wed, Mar 05 2014, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:

> This is the first version actually integrated into the build system.
>
> If people think the results are OK, I think we should move merge
> because it has become more difficult than I thought to update the rst
> files from man page changes.
>
> Of course we can/should still fix any glaring problems.

Looks good -- some things that caught my attention..

in doc/Makefile.local

 -include $(dir)/docdeps.mk  -- so that we don't get complaint about missing
  file

  rm -f $@; gzip --stdout > $@ < $^  -- as -k option is pretty new in gzip
  world (bzip2 & xz  seems to have had it longer (always?))
  The 'rm -f $@' part is modeled after bzip2 manual page where it says
  hard links are broken...

doc/.gitignore  -- is missing, docdeps.mk & _build there

both "make rst2man" and "make sphinx-man SPHINXBUILD=sphinx-1.0-build" seems
to do good job. I happened to notice that one reference to other manual
page was still underlined instead of bolded, manually checking
the output of grep -n '([0-9])' **/*.rst indicates that the one in
man1/notmuch.rst:88: is (probably) the only one.

Tomi