Search for message ID broken?

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Feb 27 02:32:47 PST 2014

Hi

I am using gnus and notmuch, and am trying to view the thread of the
message I am viewing in gnus in notmuch.

With help, I now have the following function:

(defun rmk/do-gnus-notmuch-stuff ()
  (interactive)
  (unless (buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer)
    (user-error "No open Gnus summary buffer!"))
  (let ((message-id (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer
		      (mail-header-id (gnus-summary-article-header)))))
    (message message-id)
    (notmuch-search (concatenate 'string "id:" message-id)) ;; Now do the notmuch stuff
    ))

which nicely extracts the message ID and calls notmuch-search, but I
don't get any results. The buffer is called notmuch-search-id:<THE_MESSAGE-ID>

I tried to call notmuch-search interactively, using id:<THE_MESSAGE-ID>
but also no results.

I now tried the search from the comandline:

,----
| Rainers-MacBook-Pro-2:~ rainerkrug$ notmuch search id:<e89a8f923ce652c84304f2f03b05 at google.com>
| -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
| Rainers-MacBook-Pro-2:~ rainerkrug$ notmuch search id:"<e89a8f923ce652c84304f2f03b05 at google.com>"
| Rainers-MacBook-Pro-2:~ rainerkrug$
`----

If I search for the subject, it works, but not with the message ID.

Is there something broken?

I am using

- GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0
AppKit 1265) of 2014-02-13 on Rainers-MacBook-Pro-2.local installed via
homebrew emacs-mac
- notmuch binary installed via homebrew q

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug