Bug?: notmuch-search-show-thread shows several threads; only one containing matching messages

Eric eric at deptj.eu
Mon Jan 27 09:07:20 PST 2014

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 22:26:04 +0100, Gregor Zattler <telegraph at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi David,
> * David Bremner <david at tethera.net> [24. Jan. 2014]:
> > Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> writes:
> >> I have looked at this and I think this is not notmuch's fault: I think
> >> it is a mua doing strange things:
> >>
> >> One of the mails has an in-reply-to header which looks like

> >> and I think notmuch is taking the carsten.dominik at gmail.com as message
> >> id.
> >>

> > Can someone test if this is fixed by cf8aaafbad68 (i.e. does the problem
> > persist in git master or 0.17)?
>
> The problem is *not* fixed.

I've never been happy with notmuch's threading, always seem to get too
many threads, so I tend to do

notmuch show --format=mbox \
  $(notmuch search --output=threads -- whatever)  | mhonarc -tlevels 15 -

to work out which threads I want (I am not an emacs user!).

mhonarc, as far as I know, uses something like the jwz algorithm (
http://http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html), the use of which would
solve my problem but possibly not Gregor's. If that is indeed caused by
the header referred to above and there is some email client which does
that, it would need special handling in jwz and probably in any
algorithm, but the maintainers of the mail client should also be told to
fix it! (RFC2822)

Digression I know, but I just wanted to flag the need for more work in
general on threading in notmuch.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry