segfault if notmuch-show query has spurious .. (w/ v0.17)

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at olin.edu
Tue Jan 21 18:27:52 PST 2014

Probably because I kept using notmuch-emacs .elc code from 0.16 after
notmuch got upgraded to 0.17 (I rarely restart emacs), my Emacs
interface to notmuch started generating queries that caused Xapian
exceptions and segfaults.  Here's one:

  $ notmuch show '( FW: Student Employment Orie.. )'
  A Xapian exception occurred performing query: Unknown range operation
  Query string was: ( FW: Student Employment Orie.. )
  Segmentation fault

Restarting Emacs stopped those queries, so I don't think that's an
issue.  However, notmuch itself probably should not segfault, even if
Xapian gets confused by the .. in the query (making it look like a date
range).

This is on Debian/i386 with the notmuch 0.17-3 packages.
--
-Sanjoy

<http://savelongwharfpark.org/>
Save Long Wharf Park in Boston Harbor!

<http://streetfightingmath.com/>
Six reasoning tools to make hard problems easy.