display text/html by default

Austin Clements amdragon at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 17 08:17:57 PST 2013

Quoth Jameson Graef Rollins on Dec 17 at  7:54 am:
> On Mon, Dec 16 2013, David Belohrad <david at belohrad.ch> wrote:
> > could someone help:
> >
> > when I open an email, it is automatically displayed as 'text/plain'. If
> > this mail has however CID attachments (pictures), they are not in this
> > view displayed by default. I have to manually switch to 'text/html' to
> > see those embedded pictures.
> >
> > I'd like to display mail by default as 'text/html'. How can I tell
> > emacs notmuch to do so?
>
> Hi, David.  It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the
> notmuch-show-all-multipart/alternative-parts emacs configuration option
> can be used to always display both parts by default.

Alternatively, you could experiment with
notmuch-multipart/alternative-discouraged.  By default this contains
"text/html", which is why notmuch is hiding the HTML parts.  This
isn't a customizable variable (I'm not sure why not), but you could
try adding

  (setq notmuch-multipart/alternative-discouraged '())

to your .emacs (or evaluate it using M-: within Emacs) and see if that
helps.