alot: can't read sent emails, after encryption

apmanine at idaaas.com apmanine at idaaas.com
Sun Nov 17 12:51:43 PST 2013

Quoting Patrick Totzke (2013-11-17 19:57:54)
> Quoting Jameson Graef Rollins (2013-11-16 21:47:02)
> > On Tue, Nov 12 2013, apmanine at idaaas.com wrote:
> > > I have recently switched to notmuch. Thank you for it!
> > > I'm using "alot" as a frontend (thank you for it, too!). Everything
> > > works smoothly, apart from one problem: with alot, I can't figure out how
> > > to read encrypted emails I previously sent: they appear to be encrypted
> > > using the addressee's key.
> > >
> > > Is there some way to store encrypted sent emails with my own public gpg
> > > key?
> >
> > What you really want is to tell gpg to always encrypt messages to your
> > personal key as well, which will always make them viewable by you.  This
> > way you don't have to worry about saving unencrypted versions of the
> > message to disk, or there being two distinct versions of the message
> > (one encrypted to the recipient and a different one encrypted to you).
> >
> > See the "encrypt-to" gpg option [0].
> >
> > jamie.
> >
> > [0] http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg-devel/GPG-Key-related-Options.html
>
> Is this how notmuch emacs does it? I mean, is there some option to tell
> emacs to always call gpg with --encrypt-to=me ?
> I wonder if I need to change alot in any way or if one can simply globally configure
> gnupg.. alot does not call the gpg binary but uses pygpgme.
> cheers,
> /p

I didn't have time to test yet, but this thread suggest that
the --encrypt-to option is the recommended way for notmuch-emacs:

  > 2. This is not necessarily related to notmuch itself but rather to
  > message-mode: Why are the mails that are fcc'ed to my sent-folder
  > encrypted with the recipient's key (instead of my own or simply no
  > key)?  I.e. why can't I read my own mails? Is there any way to make
  > this work?

  What about setting this on the gpg level with the "encrypt-to" option?

source: http://notmuch.198994.n3.nabble.com/Inline-encryption-encryption-failure-when-storing-sent-mails-td4028572.html

Alain-Pierre