Getting the right root mail of the thread

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Sat Nov 2 07:58:52 PDT 2013

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Jani Nikula <jani at nikula.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think there should be a way to get the root mail of a thread,
>>> irrespective of the search order.
>>
>> Largely agreed. It's just that nobody's gotten around to doing this
>> yet. At the cli level I think the consensus is that the structured
>> (sexp/json) output format should contain multiple (or all) subjects.
>
> What about the default? (--format=text). What about user-interfaces
> that must display a summary of a thread?

To be honest, we haven't had much interest in adding new content or
features to the text output formats. It's just much easier to do this in
a backwards compatible way in the structured output formats, for which
we also have the format versioning. The emacs ui uses the sexp format
for the thread summaries.

That said, if someone were interested in amending notmuch search
--format=text --output=summary, I don't think we'd have anything against
it. I'd say a new option to specify a format string would be the way to
go.

BR,
Jani.