On disk tag storage format

Ethan Glasser-Camp ethan.glasser.camp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 18:28:10 PDT 2013

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> It's still a prototype, and there is not much error checking, and there
> are certain issues not dealt with at all (the ones I thought about are
> commented).

Hi everyone,

I'm very interested in running notmuch on all my laptops and having my
mail and its tags be synchronized for me, so at Bremner's direction on
IRC, I played around with this script a little. At first it wouldn't run
on my computer; the script uses message IDs as filenames, which can be
quite long, whereas I keep my mail in my $HOME, which is on an ecryptfs
filesystem, and has a filename limit of 143 characters.

I've modified the script so that it would run by mangling filenames,
which is irreversible (the original tried to encode/decode filenames
reversibly). Then I got a little carried away, adding --verbose and
--dry-run options as well as removing a couple trailing
semicolons. Here's my version, in case it should interest anyone else.