emacs reply fills X clipboard with reply message body

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Tue Sep 17 23:09:48 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18 2013, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:

> I've just started noticing that when I reply to messages from the emacs
> UI, my X clipboard is filled with the body of the reply message,
> displacing whatever was in there previously.  I'm not sure if this is
> related to my personal emacs configuration, or some non-ideal way we're
> inserting body parts in replies.  However, even if it is a configuration
> issue in my emacs, I suspect that there should be a better way to insert
> the reply body such that there's not even a possibility that it would
> leak into the users X clipboard, regardless of emacs settings.  Any
> thoughts?

env -u DISPLAY emacs -f notmuch ;)

.. OK, I'm marking this as a bug -- I witness the same behaviour.

Originally I thought this relates directly to the fact that mark
is set at the end of quoted text and (point) is at the beginning of
buffer -- so that simple c-w can be used to remove the contents in
case desired... but the X paste provides the original text, not the
quoted one.

Someone™ has to dig (deeper) into the code for this...

> jamie.

Tomi