UTF-8 in mail headers (namely FROM) sent by bugzilla

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jul 29 12:46:26 PDT 2013

On 07/26/2013 06:16 AM, Jani Nikula wrote:
> I'm experiencing a similar problem with the Subject: headers in bugzilla
> mail. Per RFC 2047,
>
>     Ordinary ASCII text and 'encoded-word's may appear together in the
>     same header field.  However, an 'encoded-word' that appears in a
>     header field defined as '*text' MUST be separated from any adjacent
>     'encoded-word' or 'text' by 'linear-white-space'.
>
> In the problematic mails, the encoded-word begins immediately after
> preceding text, i.e. without linear-white-space. Manually adding that
> space in the message file makes the subject display as expected.
>
> The decoding is done in the cli using g_mime_message_get_subject(). I'm
> not sure if there's much that can be done about it within notmuch.

I think asking gmime to deliberately mis-parse the subject line would
probably be a bad idea, because that would cause some strings to be
impossible to represent in the subject.

So Jani's report here sounds like a bug in bugzilla itself.  Jani, have
you reported this problem to that project?  I don't see it on their
bugtracker [0], though maybe my scan of the list wasn't as thorough as
it should be.

Regards,

	--dkg

[0]