UTF-8 in mail headers (namely FROM) sent by bugzilla

Franz Fellner alpine.art.de at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 03:55:08 PDT 2013

On Dienstag, 23. Juli 2013 11:30:28 CEST, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I have a problem with notmuch-vim (now: git master from 10 min. ago)
>> (also with alot and ner, not with 'notmuch show' or notmuch-emacs).
>> UTF-8-encoded From: (at least) does not show Umlauts but a weird
>> encoded-string. ...
>
> Looks like rfc 2047, which is a way of encoding non-ASCII characters in
> message headers. Gmail does the same thing, and I've had to work around
> that in emacs/gnus.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2047.txt

OK, thx. So every app needs to get patched to display those strings properly? Any chance this could be done directly in libnotmuch?
I grepped for "2047" inside te "emacs" subtree, but found nothing (had the hope for a comment for the workaround). Would be interesting to see how this is done, so I can at least try to create a patch (though my ruby is quite basic).