notmuch search --output=files error with AND NOT search terms

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 04:53:53 PDT 2013

Hi Ingo,

Disclaimer: I'm just a user, with almost no knowledge of notmuch
internals.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 01:39:20AM -0700, ingo wrote:

> And both mails have the same message-id in the message header.
>
> Still, only one of both files really should be found with this search, so
> why is the out put different?

If there are multiple copies of a message, I would expect --output=files
to show all the copies (files).  I believe this is notmuch's way to
handle duplicate messages.  I think the confusion arises from the notion
of treating unique message id, and not unique physical files as the
definition of a message.  If you think a bit, seems reasonable too.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu