notmuch zombie apocolypse

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Tue Jun 11 18:31:36 PDT 2013

Hi All;

I've noticed some strange behaviour with zombie processes and
notmuch-emacs.

* 0.15.2
- start large search, quit (with q)
- zombie is created
- repeat as many times as you like.
- first search to complete, all zombies are gone.
- CPU is not pegged.

* 0.15.2+174
  - even searches that complete create zombies
  - cpu usage of emacs process hits 100%

Defining the former as "good" and the latter as "bad",
bisect reveals 08fde50bf3a4c5 as the first "bad" commit.

I am running emacs 24.3.1 on Debian jessie, with linux kernel 3.9.5-1
from unstable.

The bug is pretty annoying since it runs down the battery on my
laptop. In a quick test on another machine running Debian wheezy but
still emacs 24.3.1, I don't see any zombies created at all. I'm not sure
what the imprtant variable is, libc, glib, kernel...