Solaris support - missing or incompatible functions

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Mon May 20 04:10:32 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 20 2013, Vladimir Marek <Vladimir.Marek at Oracle.COM> wrote:

>> > Ok, in that case please let me take a look at the tests first.
>> >

>> For what it's worth, I can confirm no test failures for me either on
>> linux (Debian wheezy).
>
> Thank you for looking into that. I'm still not done with fixing the test
> suite on Solaris, but form ~70 broken tests I'm at 28. Mostly it's
> because Solaris is trying to be posix correct while Linux does not.
>
> There was one surprise though:
>
> A='12\n34'
> echo $A
>
> prints two lines on Solaris bug only one line on Linux ('\n' is not
> interpreted). That breaks most of json tests as they contain '\n').

That must be some setting in (your?) bash:

$ sh -c 'echo '\''foo\nbar'\'''
foo
bar

$ bash -c 'echo '\''foo\nbar'\'''
foo\nbar

$ dash -c 'echo '\''foo\nbar'\'''
foo
bar

... after a bit digging ...

$ bash -c 'shopt -s xpg_echo; echo '\''foo\nbar'\'''
foo
bar

$ bash -c 'shopt -u xpg_echo; echo '\''foo\nbar'\'''
foo\nbar

you could try adding  shopt -u xpg_echo  into test-lib.sh

Tomi