Xapers

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Apr 15 01:07:46 PDT 2013

Hey, folks.  I wanted to let people know about a program that I've been
working on that may be of interest to people on this list.  It's also
very heavily inspired by notmuch.

It's a personal paper management/indexing system called Xapers, geared
somewhat specifically towards academic journal articles.  For those
familiar with Papers [0], it's like that but for the command line set.

Give it a pdf and a source identifier (like doi url), and it downloads
bibtex from the online library, stores the pdf and bibtex in a local
document store, and indexes them both into a Xapian database.  Documents
can be arbitrarily tagged.  Documents and bibtex can be exported from
arbitrary searches.  It's a python library underneath, but there a cli
and a simple curses ui that can display search results, tag documents,
and retrieve files.

README and a screenshot of the curses ui here:

http://finestructure.net/xapers/README
http://finestructure.net/xapers/screenshot.png

It's certainly not perfect, but it's been working fairly well for me for
a while.  Feedback/bugs/etc (off list) are very much appreciated.

jamie.

[0] http://www.papersapp.com/papers/