the future of notmuch-vim?

guyzmo guyzmo+notmuch at m0g.net
Tue Apr 2 23:01:58 PDT 2013

Hi

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:55:13PM -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't following the ml.

same here

> David Bremner wrote:
> > - There are now several alternatives for people whose only motivation to
> >   use the vim frontend was dislike of emacs (alot and notmuch-mutt).
> I did try the emacs frontend, and it was not working properly for me at the
> time, and I believe I documented my issues. It was not just my dislike of emacs
> that motivated me to write notmuch-vim-ruby.

    I'd say not liking emacs is not a good reason  for  using  vim  as a
MUA. Vim is just a text editor, and nothing else.

> > There are several alternative vim frontends floating around in (at
> > least) ruby and python. I don't if they are better or worse
> > functionality wise.
> I'd say notmuch-vim-ruby is the best one, but of course I'm biased :)

    It may be nice and/or fun to use that kind  of  things  in  vim, but
really, it's opposite to the philosophy of vim. I  personnally  prefer a
thousand times to use mutt-kz, alot as MUA,  and  vim  only  for writing
mails.

    And by the way, to make vim better at writing emails, I  had  a hard
time finding how to implement a way to lookup  addresses  fields' values
fastly using the python API. The method I  found  (based  on  the python
addressbook lookup script) takes about 20s for about 10000 mails.  Is it
the python binding  that's  flawed?  Or  the  way  addresses  fields are
stored? Maybe something could be done.

> > it to contrib. Or, deprecating it and then removing it.
> > What do people think?
> Personally I think notmuch-vim should be replaced with notmuch-vim-ruby. I did
> try the python version, and remember discussing options with the guy developing
> it, but nothing happened out of it, and I think the ruby version is superior.
> I'd be open to discuss the options here, but I think notmuch-vim-ruby is the
> only real option.

    Whereas you seem to have done a really good  job  integrating  it to
vim,  I  personally  think  that  anything  that  makes  vim  an  IDE, a
coffeemaker, or an Operating System is not worth the pain. So my opinion
is to just drop vim-as-MUA script support.

HTH,

--
Guyzmo