synchronizing tag for cur/new location of mail

Daniel quite at hack.org
Tue Mar 12 02:38:44 PDT 2013

Is there currently no automatic tag that reflects whether a mail was
found in folder/cur or folder/new? The "unread" tag properly reflects
the maildir ",S" flag, but the one named "new" doesn't seem to be
automatic in any way, right?

I mostly use notmuch as a search backend to mutt, and it certainly is
very useful. Though since I started feeding rss to maildir, I would like
the idea of presenting somewhere in my system a list of new and "unseen"
mails (in the mutt sense, kind of, which you might be familiar with).
Presently this seems impossible.