[BUG] inconsistent user context handling w/ tramp

Simon Campese notmuchmail_org at campese.de
Sat Mar 2 03:46:33 PST 2013

Hello,

after using tramp to open a file using the 'su' or 'sudo' protocol as
user X, the next time I run 'compose-mail' to compose a message it
apparently looks in the home directory of user X for its config file,
mail directory etc. In the compose window, I get the error message

'Error reading configuration file $X_homedir/.notmuch-config: No such
file or directory'

in all header fields (From, Fcc etc.) that should be filled by notmuch
($X_homedir  is the home directory of user X from above).

This happens when using emacs in "standalone" mode or when connecting
to a running instance of emacs with emacsclient. In the latter case, if
one connects with another emacsclient, everything works properly again.

However, this all suggests that notmuch should gather the user who is
running emacs in a more robust way.

Best wishes,

Simon