notmuch-mutt: Use of uninitialized value.

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at upsilon.cc
Tue Feb 12 08:27:02 PST 2013

[ many thanks to David Bremner for the forward ]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:58:01 +0100, Profpatsch wrote:
> # Construct a thread ouf of the marked mail (or something like that,
> # doesn’t work atm (errors out))
<snip>
> I hope this still works, best to put it on one line I guess.
>
> Error message:
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/bin/notmuch-mutt line 124, <STDIN> line 28.
> Use of uninitialized value $mid in concatenation (.) or string at
> /usr/bin/notmuch-mutt line 145, <STDIN> line 28.

Heya, thanks for your report.  The only reasonable explanation I can
think of is that you hit <F9> while being on a mail that does not
contain a Message-Id header, which is uncommon.

Do you still have the mail in question? Can you verify if it is the case
or not?

If that's the case, I'd agree that the error message could be better,
but without a message-id there won't be much that can be done to rebuild
a thread in any reliable way. (One possibility might be falling back to
subject-based thread reconstruction, but I'd rather not do that.)

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .