Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:39:40 PST 2013

Hi,

I am a *very new* notmuch user (notmuch + mutt-kz/Emacs), but I would
like to throw in a few opinions about this topic.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 06:14:48PM +0100, Robert Mast wrote:
> Thanks for your clear explanation.
>
> The thread-merging and breaking is in the procedure already pointed at by
> Jani: (_notmuch_database_link_message() in lib/database.cc.)
>
> Is there a quick way to recognize those git-threads by subject-syntax, or to
> reliably tag them to exclude them from subject-breaking?

I don't like this feature at all.  Threads with patches from
git-send-email are not the only kind of threads where this might be
relevant.  Often I encounter threads with sub-threads which are a little
OT hence get renamed, but they are still related to the parent thread.
Sometimes this helps in following how a topic came up while discussing
something else.  This is especially true when going through old emails
for reference.  I have encountered this in mailing lists, personal
emails and discussions with colleagues.  One of the many other reasons
for me to switch from Gmail to my present setup was to avoid this
"feature".

That said, I think this feature is indeed useful at times but it should
be implemented in the UI on user command or as a configurable (e.g. mutt
provides the <break-thread> command), not a default underlying behaviour
of the backend.  If this is pursued, implementing it as a configurable
in the Emacs UI might be more appropriate (or whatever other UIs exists
out there).

Hope this is constructive to the discussion.  :)

Cheers,

--
Suvayu