the future of notmuch-vim?

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Jan 19 05:46:27 PST 2013

So now that we've (finally) released, we can turn our minds back to
being distruptive.

I'm not sure what, if anything to do about the vim frontend.

Looking at

        http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=notmuch

There is apparently still some people that use it (although notice the
"Vote" column is 0).

On the other hand

- The vim frontend is afaik the last thing depending on the legacy text
  output format.

- The plugin seems to be only semi-functional at the moment; in a quick
  test I found a message that didn't display it's content, and one that
  displayed the content, along with "junk" from the internal
  representation.

- There are now several alternatives for people whose only motivation to
  use the vim frontend was dislike of emacs (alot and notmuch-mutt).

There are several alternative vim frontends floating around in (at
least) ruby and python. I don't if they are better or worse
functionality wise.

I'm considering stopping building debian packages for notmuch-vim, since
I don't see any current prospects for the package improving.  I'm not
sure what the equivalent thing to do upstream would be, perhaps moving
it to contrib. Or, deprecating it and then removing it.

What do people think?