Unicode characters are incorrectly reproduced when forwarding mail

Albin Stjerna albin.stjerna at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:54:03 PST 2013

Hi!

When forwarding an email containing (what I think is) unicode characters (primarily umlauts), these are incorrectly re-entered as strange escaped characters (ä becomes \344, å becomes \345 and so on). Then, when I try to send the email, I get an error about the message containing unprintable characters.

Interestingly enough, this problem does not occur in the headers (Subject, >From etc), and the problem does not occur at all when quoting messages via notmuch-reply. Also, it doesn't happen for all email messages, so it might be an issue with the encoding. I think a common denominator for the un-forwardable messages is that they contain no charset= declaration, though they still render just fine.

Any help debugging would be greatly appreciated!