gmail importer script

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 14:31:22 PST 2012

Quoting Jason A. Donenfeld (2012-12-16 20:44:04)
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Well, thats not the point.. the script shouldn't die like this.
>     I think it's be better if the script caught that exception, deleted the
>     file
>     and continued..
>

> Probably, but I suspect it's related to whatever mystery error you ran into
> before with the corruption.
>
> Does deleting that file and trying again fix it?

I don't know. How would I know which file to remove?
I just removed the newest files in new/cur/tmp
but this doesnt solve the issue.
What would really help here is some more informative error message!

I tried with the `-d` option but did not see any local path in the output.

> Anyway, this is extremely stable for me and a few others at this point. I'm
> going to wait for other users to report errors. Alternatively, send me patches
> if you want things to happen.

Personally, I don't really care if 'things are happening', as I'm kind of OK with my current
offlineimap configuration and would seriously consider switching from OI
only if it meant an improvement in speed or stability.

I test this code because I believe that the notmuch ecosystem
would benefit from a working solution and that reviews and bug-reports
are important.

Of course, I don't expect any miracles in terms of speed at this early stage.
But the bug I reported above should be addressed at some point in order not to
scare off potential users.

Have you considered including your code in offlineimap?
I'm asking because OI already solved some of the problems you might face later on
if you want to continue working on this.

* multi-threaded downloads
* the ability to read passwords not as plaintext parameter..

best,
/p