gmail importer script

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 05:57:23 PST 2012

On 07/12/12 14:48, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug at gmail.com <mailto:R.M.Krug at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
> Sounds interesting.
>
> I don't know much python, so excuse my questions:
>
> 1) are multiple downloads of an email done, if the mail has multiple labels?
>

> No.

Good.

> 2) I am downloading with the patched notmuch (to add x-keywords containing the labels) only
> the "All Mail" folder - does your script use this information (if present) to tag the emails?
>

> What is the patched notmuch? What does that do?

Sorry - should have been "patched offlineimap" ( https://github.com/aroig/offlineimap
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/5943/focus=5970 and
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/5970 )

It is synching the gmail labels into the x-keywords header as a comma separated list. These could
then be used by notmuch to be added to the labels. It also does sync changes from the X-Keywords
to gmail (see http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/5943/focus=5970 for details)

> 3) are label changes in gmail synched into the local emails?
>

> It pulls labels from gmail messages into notmuch, with the labels in tact, once per each
> email.

Good.

> 4) I assume, local changes are not synced to gmail?
>

> Correctamundo.

OK.

> 5) how are conflicts handled (local tag changes versus label changes on gmail)?
>

> They aren't. See 3.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Thanks,

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44