a DoS vulnerability associated with conflated Message-IDs?

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 04:15:16 PDT 2012

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:37:09 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> notmuch currently treats all messages with the same Message-ID as
> the same message.  I think this could be a vulnerability :(
>
> If two messages have the same Message-ID, is there a guarantee of which
> of these messages will be produced during a notmuch show?
>
> Either way, it seems to create a potential DoS attack on notmuch users.

Yesterday I was expecting a confirmation message which, seemingly, never
came.  It turns out my maildir already contained a message from the
same system.  From three years ago.  With the same Message-ID.

Malice has nothing on incompetence.

Could we distinguish messages with identical Message-IDs based on
some header fields, e.g. Date, From?

Peter