Errors after upgrade to 0.14

Austin Clements amdragon at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 22 17:41:17 PDT 2012

Quoth Bart Bunting on Aug 23 at  9:36 am:
> Good morning,
>
> After upgrading to notmuch 014 I am seeing the following messages appear
> in the messages buffer.
>
> error in process filter: byte-code: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
> error in process filter: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
>
> I am also getting a repeating message in the minibuffer (I think) which
> says something like "json read tail error".  Sorry that I am not more
> specific as I use emacspeak and this message appears to repeat many
> times interupting speech so I am not 100% sure of what it exactly says.

This is probably "json-readtable-error", which is, unfortunately,
about the most generic error the JSON parser can give.

> My gut feeling is that it is happening when notmuch is updating the
> database or something.
>
> Is this expected behaviour?  It is particularly annoying for me as it
> sends the speech synth crazy and crashes it for a period of about 30
> seconds.
>
> If it is expected then I will try and find a way to prevent emacspeak
> from trying to read it.

This is definitely not expected behavior.  Does this happen when
you're searching for messages or when you're viewing a thread?  Can
you give any more details on what you're doing when you get this
error?

Try doing M-x toggle-debug-on-error and then triggering the error.
Hopefully Emacs will give you a buffer with a backtrace that will give
us a better idea of where this is happening.