[announce] Bower 0.4

David Froger david.froger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:59:39 PDT 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:33:39 +0100, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting David Froger (2012-08-12 16:53:43)
> > >
> > > I haven't needed such a feature so I don't have a clear idea how it
> > > should work.  There are some patches/ideas about muting threads using
> > > notmuch generally around here.  I guess the simplest thing to do is hide
> > > a thread if it has a certain tag, e.g. "muted" as suggested by notmuch
> > > TODO file, unless you search for it explicitly.
> > I  like this  solution,  I will  use it (adding 'and not tag:mutted' at the end of my search).
> > When  I'm not  interessed with  a long discussion on a mailling list,  I like to  be able to 'kill'
> > the thread so it does not reappear with every new mail.
>
> I'm not sure if this actually solves your problem, because
> notmuch's search is message, not thread based:
> If you search for threads that match "is:inbox and not is:muted", you will see threads
> that contain messages which are tagged with "inbox" and not with "muted".
> This means if you just tag one (or all) msg in a thread "muted" and there is a new response,
> this thread will contain such a matching message again and show up in your result list.
Thanks for the clarification, it's very helpfull!

> To make this work, you need to set up your tagging script (that you run after 'notmuch new')
> so that it updates those new messages accordingly. If a msg belongs to a thread that has
> muted messages, also tag the new one muted.
> I can pretty much recommend Justus' tagging script afew: https://github.com/teythoon/afew
> One of the filters that it supports out of the box is exactly the "kill threads" function
> you want.

Thanks, this script looks very cool and I think I will replace mine with it (I should have
visited (http://notmuchmail.org/initial_tagging/ ...).  You're right, the filter I'm
interessed is in in aftew/filters/KillThreadsFilter.py, and do this:

for all email M that does not have tag 'killed':
    I = thread Id of the email M
    if there are emails that have thread id I and the 'killed' tag:
        apply 'killed' tag on email E

Thanks again for all the help.