multipart/alternative bug

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Aug 13 09:48:51 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13 2012, hellekin <hellekin at cepheide.org> wrote:
> as I mentioned on IRC a few days ago, there are some cases where:
>
>   - a thread only displays the first message
>   - key bindings do not work at all (except q)
>
> By trial and error, I could nail down the issue to multipart/alternative
> support. I had set notmuch to only show the text/plain part of an email
> before hitting the bug, and by setting "Notmuch Show All
> Multipart/Alternative Parts" to *off* in notmuch-show configuration, the
> bug disappeared.
>
> I'm sorry not to be able to dig further, but I hope this tip will help
> users to avoid the issue, and developers to find and fix the bug.

Hi, hk.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is actually
probably *not* an issue with multipart/alternative but instead with
whatever is in that alternative part.  If you set
notmuch-show-all-multipart/alternative to off you're only seeing the
text/plain part.  If there's something crazy in the alternative part,
something that's not getting decoded correctly maybe, then that might
screw up the buffer.

Can you use the command line UI to determine what else is in the
offending message?  Is it just a text/html part, or is there something
else more exotic?  A lot of popular but broken MUAs stuff
non-alternative stuff into alternative parts.

You can grab the message id (id:XXX) of the offending message with 'c i'
in the emacs UI, and the look at it on the command line with:

notmuch show id:XXX

hth.

jamie.

ps. In general the command line UI is a great resource for figuring out
what might be causing problems in the emacs UI.