Inheriting tags from parent

Michal Nazarewicz mina86 at mina86.com
Sun Aug 5 13:10:14 PDT 2012

Austin Clements <amdragon at MIT.EDU> writes:
> I have a hacky and now ancient patch series that you're welcome to try
> porting to a recent notmuch on the inheritable-tags-hack branch at
>   http://awakening.csail.mit.edu/git/notmuch.git
> One general problem with this approach is dealing with threads whose
> messages arrive or are ingested out of order.  I don't think this is
> an insurmountable problem, but my patch certainly doesn't handle it
> correctly.

I'll keep that in mind, but lack of time, won't probably let me play
with it...

> There are also several other solutions to "mute" tags around.  For
> example, some people use a post-new hook to search for threads that
> contain at least one mute tag and then feed these thread IDs back in
> to notmuch tag to add the mute tag to everything in the thread.  I
> believe this is also the approach used by the afew tagging system for
> "killed" threads.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now.  Basically “notmuch search
--output=threads is:mute” and then join all the lines with “or” to
finally do “notmuch tag +mute <threads>”.  I was, however, hoping for
something more dedicated.

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o