notmuch-emacs and bbdb

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Wed Jul 11 23:43:10 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10 2012, Daniel Bergey <bergey at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, notmuch doesn't integrate as smoothly with bbdb as older
> emacs mailclients.  I'm especially looking for a snarf function that
> distinguishes sender from recipient.
>
> How do other people use bbdb with notmuch?
>
> Does anyone have lisp code like that which ships with bbdb for other
> clients?
>
> If I were to find time to write such code, what would you like it to do?

Hey, Bergey.  This is something that I think needs improvement as well.
I've been just manually constructing the bbdb entries myself.

But what I've really been meaning to get going is address
auto-completion from the database, which I'm pretty sure could obviate
my need for bbdb altogether:

http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index13h2

Getting it working seems more difficult than it should be, though, and
the existing solutions seem a bit slower than they need to be [0].  So I
think there's also room for improvement here.

For instance, I think it would be rad if notmuch provided this
functionality natively, in the CLI, or even in the library [1].  I think
it's definitely doable, and it would be a nice little project.

The emacs integration could be a bit smoother as well.  A single config
option should either turn the functionality on or off.  That would be
very convenient [2].

jamie.

[0] id:"87r4xur3rv.fsf at plc.plecavalier.com"
[1] For what it's worth, I would prefer a solution that didn't involve
    any caching of addresses outside of the database.
[2] I also find it changes the behavior of the ido tab completion
    interface that I'm used to using in message mode.